Thursday, April 7, 2011

A to Z: Fighters

Unsatisfied with the option of cardboard or plastic tokens for fighters for spaceship games, I got a lot of fighters from GZG. I tried to make them as '3-D' as possible, with varying heights of wire, mounted in a 20mm base.
GZG makes some of my favorite spaceship minis. I have to get around to painting these someday.
I agonized over finding the right paint scheme- went through several experiments, still haven't found the right one, but I have an idea.. so.. someday.


I'm a sucker for space fighters, ever since I was a kid.

Of course first was Star Wars, quickly followed by Battlestar Galactica, and then throughout my life I've always taken note of the fighter ships. Maybe that is why Star Trek never grabbed me as much as Star Wars.. Star Trek is cool, with some nice ships, Romulan Battlecruisers and Klingon Bird of Preys topping the list, but it's a universe without a role for fighter ships, so it always seemed to be lacking.

Other space fighters have caught my imagination through the years:

Cylon Raider: Sleek & menacing.The new versions are quite cool too.

Robotech Veritech Fighter: Cooler than a fighter plane, and transforms.

Space Above & Beyond Hammerhead: Another fighter plane in space, but a very cool one.
Underdog dogfights at its finest.

Babylon 5 Starfury: Utilitarian and logical. Best use of taking 3-D combat ideas into effect I've seen.

But my favorite, old or new is the Colonial Viper from Battlestar Galactica.

What are your favorite Space Fighters?

Enjoy the movie :)

3 comments:

Anthony N. Emmel said...

The (1970s) Cylon Raider and the TIE series off of Star Wars are my favs. Definitely.

Laughing Ferret said...

My favorite thing about the TIE fighters was the noise they make as the fly by.

C'nor (Outermost_Toe) said...

Hmm. I'd say probably my Scrapbird (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=618d8855c7b77df5ebb28bd20e0a549f), my Lofwyr (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=f08230223f8aa2a9ebb28bd20e0a549f&ct=mdsa&prevstart=0), and the Barghest class (http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=180b41948f144360ebb28bd20e0a549f&prevstart=0).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...